Monday, January 26, 2009

The Upbeats -- Nobody's Out There

I've been a fan of The Upbeats since their first appearance in the drum n' bass scene, they being the artists to actually spark a keen interest in the genre and its children. I absolutely loved their self-titled debut album in 2004 and eagerly anticipated their next full-length, original release. Alas, like many DnB artists they seemed to tarry on the side, lending their talents to collaborations here and there and releasing singles to keep my hope up years later, if faint.

Thankfully, those singles did the job (though I must give most credit to the re-playability of their first album.) Sometime over a year ago -- I know, I'm a terrible fan for being a whole year late -- they finally slipped their second LP out behind my back, three years after their initial release. I can, with no exaggeration, say Nobody's Out There is one of the best drum n' bass albums I've ever heard, quite worth the wait.

Maybe it's just me. You know, "to each their own;" unique tastes and whatnot. It's hard to ignore the colourful tones and depth they bring to the genre, one that, save for a few artists, seems largely stagnant; methodical and flat, if you will. "Drum n' bass" is the essence of the genre, literally -- the drum and the bass. With the same, bland repetition heard through the genre for so long, though, the drum and the bass needs more. A unique sound while sampling a variety of ideas is the essence of good music, drum n' bass not immune, and that's what The Upbeats come to offer.

The emotion that seemingly fuels The Upbeats is present throughout the album, from the dark, merciless grunge to the melodious guitar floating through an ambient dream -- the Swedish duo's intensity and love for their music is present in each and every song, an investment needed to keep inspiration running high. Leaving no highs or lows out, Nobody's Out There dabbles in a bit of everything, their misleading elevation with an under-tone of sadness that flows so fittingly in to their darker side. A colourful palette while maintaining a signature style.

Like I said, maybe it's just me. I'm an emotional guy, so I like depth and mood in my music over your typical 'unce' party vibe. It doesn't change the fact that The Upbeats' devotion to their music is from the heart, their creativity raising the bar and hopefully inspiring others to push the genre in the same way; to let their music live up to it's rightful title: art.

Or, you could skip my half-rant and just listen. I implore you go check them out at http://www.beatport.com or your other high-quality music site of preference, though, as Youtube really does not do them justice.





By the way, if you like the album I suggest you buy it, as the video edit of Thinking Cap isn't the full version. Yea, it's got Georgie's amazing voice which is pretty damn important, but it's missing the beautiful acoustic outro.

No comments:

Post a Comment